Skip to main content

Classic Black and White Gingham Dress




DRESS: Make Me Chic c/o  (also here)  //  HANDBAG: local boutique (similar herehere, here ) 
SHOES: Nine West old  (similar style here + here) // SUNGLASSES: Target (designer version here)
EARRINGS: Merona no longer available (love this style)  //  BRACELETS: Kate Spade 





When I think of summertime, an array of images come to mind. Visions of bronzed sun-kissed skin, lazy beach days, strawberry picking with the family, relaxing with a big glass of sweet tea or lemonade in hand to beat the heat, making s'mores by the campfire at night and of course eating lots of juicy watermelon slices and picnics in the park. Summer is a time to kick back, relax and opt for less fussy attire and there's something about gingham that just reminds me of those picnic in the park (likely the red and white iconic picnic blankets and tablecloths). When the hazy, humid days of summer are ushered in, there's nothing better than a gauzy or breezy dress in a lightweight fabric like this one to keep things both comfortable and cool while still looking polished and ladylike. 



As a lover of classic style, I tend to focus on staple fabrics, patterns and colors such as black and white (which my closet is filled with!) in a variety of patterns such as striped tees, solid blouses and dresses along with polka dots. When Make Me Chic recently reached out to me to collaborate with them, I couldn't resist adding this ruffle top spaghetti strap gingham dress.

Although off-the-shoulder looks are on trend and everywhere right now, I'm a practical gal at heart and with a toddler to chase after all day, not having to readjust my clothing often is important to me. The thin straps on this dress solves that issue and provides just the right amount amount of support while still giving it that strapless or off-the-shoulder vibe. The ruffle top adds a flirty, romantic feel (that accentuates your bust area-a nice perk for those who want a little extra oomph in that department) and because it's covered, while I wore a strapless bra, you could technically go bra-less and find them uncomfortable in the heat like I sometimes do. I also love how this dress cinches at the waist, it's quite figure flattering with a retro, ladylike vibe. You also can't beat the price at just $32!




Yesterday, Lily and I headed out for the day but I did't feel like carrying a large tote as I often do to carry both of our necessities. I decided to pair my new gingham dress with a red cross-body bag for a pop of color to hold my essentials (which can be worn as a shoulder bag too). I discovered it at a local FL boutique but I found some very similar options like this two-tone version, this slightly larger version, and this one that features the same type of gold hardware.






After heading out early for a couple short appointments and running a few quick errands, we made our way over to Julie's Waterfront, a very casual restaurant situated on the water with great food and service along with a cute patio area and of course a view. It was such a stunning day with the most beautiful blue skies and fluffy white clouds that often resembled popcorn. I couldn't resist snapping a few photos while there of this adorable summery mural below that was painted on the fence near the entrance.





After lunch, Lily fell asleep in the car (as she often does when we run errands midday) so I read and caught up on a few e-mails. Next, I swung by the house and loaded up on water, juice and snacks to make our way to the park after first swapping out my heels for my favorite pair of black flat Tory Burch sandals which are the ones I wear most often. I typically make shorts and a tee my go-to for our park days together so I can slide with her and worry less about getting dirty but there's something so lovely about getting to still feel feminine even in places where you might otherwise typically dress very casually. Because this dress is so lightweight, it was the perfect option, especially since we made some new friends there who just moved here from out of state and we ended up staying for a record 3 hours!






What I like most about this look is that it's easy and with it being black + white, you can add virtually any color to change up the look each time you wear it-yellow or hot pink are other fun options. I have long loved the versatility of separates, however, I usually end up with more dresses than skirts because they're something I can throw on without spending too much time coordinating, add a swipe of lipstick, a pair of heels (or flats) and out the door I go! This dress can easily transition from day to night by adding a cardigan as the temps drop along with a clutch for a slightly dressier look.



Here are a few other similar classic black + white gingham dresses for summer at varying price points (some are on sale right now), including this adorable toddler/child version (on sale!) which matches the style of my dress almost identically and would be perfect for you mamas who like to match with your daughter. 








....


Let's Socialize!



As always, thank you so much for stopping by! Wishing all of my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day today and my American friends a Happy 4th of July weekend! Since I'm a dual citizen, I'll be celebrating both. Have fun and stay safe everyone. :)

XO





*Thank you to Make Me Chic for sponsoring this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nordstrom Half Yearly Sale: Classy Summer Essentials

Crepe Wrap Dress  //   Sunglasses  //   Boater Hat  (just $14!) iPhone case  //   Chandelier Earrings  //   Miracle One-Piece Swimsuit Kate Spade Tote  //   Black Espadrille Wedges   //   Suede Heels  (comes in 5 colors!) One of my favorite retailers is having their  huge  half-yearly sale right now, and it's honestly the perfect time as we move from less predictable spring weather to warm, sunny days ahead sporting our favorite sandals + a breezy feminine dress. These espadrille wedges above also come in brown and are a summer must-have, a timeless staple you'll enjoy for years to come! They are a great option for those who find high heels daunting or moms like myself who want a more comfortable and safer options while out and about with little ones, yet want to avoid settling for flip flops or tennis shoes. They are under $75 and won't last long so if you see your size right now-grab them! I also adore these gorgeous suede lace-up sandals which come in a sand colo

8 Things You Should Always Keep Private

One of a classy woman's most notable characteristics is her ability to remain discreet. Keeping matters private not only creates a sense of trust and mystery but it just adheres to proper protocol and good manners, after all, the goal of being well mannered is to allow others to feel comfortable in our presence. When we blurt out a personal problem or another such confidential matter, we essentially invite others into that space, when in fact it is often not meant for them. Sharing too much can make others feel awkward and unsure how to reply or act after learning of the information that's been revealed. I first tackled the idea of discretion a while ago  in this post . The other day, an old friend reached out to me via private message on Facebook and point blank asked me a question that I was not expecting to answer, it pertained to my personal life and I was a little unsure at first how I wanted to reply. While this person was once one of my best friends and I have always bee

Ranganathittu, a must visit haven of migratory birds in Karnataka

Ranganathittu, near Srirangapatna, and Kokkare Bellur, is a small hamlet on the banks of Cauvery.  Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is haven for migratory birds to roost and breed. Birds migrate from as far as Russia, Siberia, North America making this largest bird sanctuary in Karnataka a very popular tourist destination. The six islets along with its crocodile-infested backwaters is a breeding ground for many exotic and migratory birds. You should take a guided tour boat at Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary to watch birds, crocodiles, otters and bats. This is a place where you should spend time with family and friends to your heart’s content. If you are on a tight scheduled quick 2 days trip to Mysore and in and around places, then do not include Ranganathittu in your itinerary. You are not doing any justice to your visit to Ranganathittu. Who, When, Why this place was declared a protected area Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is located at a distance of about 20 km from Mysore city. When a da